Skip to main content

6/16/11 Math So Far

I want to reflect on the math I've seen used so far.

- When counting items, the software keeps a running total. This actually takes some of the math out of the job so employees don't have to add items missed the first time manually.

- The software allows you to see how many of a particular item sold during different ads. This number isn't very useful, however, if you had one ad that lasted for a month and one ad that lasted for two days. Maybe peanut butter was on sale for $1.00 for two days in February and during those two days at a particular store, 66 jars of peanut butter were sold. Maybe there was also a month long ad in March and peanut butter was on sale for $1.50. If 674 jars of peanut butter were sold during that month, you can't compare the 674 to the 66 because they were in different lengths of time. It might be more useful to keep track of how much of an item was sold per day during different ads. Then you could get a much better idea of how many you might expect to sell during any new or future ads so you can more effectively order more product. This could be used in a lesson plan about proportional thinking.

- I made a mistake when I was trying to help out on the register at the gas station. We had to use math to figure out how much I had overcharged the customer and how much money he needed back. We had to divide his total by the price per gallon to figure out how many gallons he had payed for. Then we had to take those gallons times the discount per gallon to figure out how much money we owed him back. This wasn't something the computer did for us. We had to get some sctratch paper and a calculator, and figure it out on our own.

- Making change involves math, especially if someone gives you a nickel and a penny from their pocket, and you have to figure out in your head the new amount that you owe them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Loves Math - Romans 6:3

 God Loves Math: In which I select a random Bible verse from a random Bible verse generator ( this one ) and ask God to show me a new way of understanding Him, honoring Him, and loving Him while using a mathematical mindset to approach the section of scripture.  Today's Random Bible Verse Romans 6:3 "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" Right before today's random verse, the author makes the point that, while we see God's grace when he forgives our sins, of course we should not keep on sinning... Then comes our random Bible verse. Then he makes this follow-up statement: "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4) This short section is talking about what the sin in our life should look like. The Bible is very clear that all have sinned and fall...

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my ...

Definitions, Axioms, Math, and God

 Tonight I'm thinking about the unique way that God has created me.  I have been a math teacher. That has been my only career until being a coach these last 3 years. I've continued to be a math teacher while coaching. God created me with a deep love of learning. Mathematics is a bunch of well defined rules that give us an incredible playground of puzzles. I became a teacher because I wanted to do mathematics and work with people. I would never have become a teacher of any other subject. I get that you can learn in Science and Social Studies and English, so why do I love math so much? I love the definitions. Something is how we define it. I think of the stupid Neature Walk videos from high school... "It's called an aspen because that's what it is..." But really, the world operates a certain way, but in mathematics, the world exists in perfection in our minds. When we say something is a circle, we mean it is the set of all points equidistant from a center. Where...