Skip to main content

A Few Small Things

1. Another teacher had the idea to put all the notes for an entire unit in one power point. I think this one little thing makes it easier to find things both this year and next year when we're trying to remember what we did instead of having a different power point for each individual lesson.

2. Collaboration makes us better teachers. I want to repeat this 10 times because I believe it's so important. I met with another teacher today after school to talk about the rest of the week. I believe my kids will benefit so much from the ideas she was able to share with me.

3. Today I spent about 3-5 of the 46 minutes sharing sort of silly stories that were oddly related to what we were talking about. (Meaning they had to do with what we were talking about, but really weren't necessary.) I'm curious if the kids appreciate a small break to just hear a story and then get back to it, or if they wish I would stay strictly to the point the whole time. I suspect the kids would be split on their opinion. I think there's some value in a mental break, a short writing break, and a chance to let your brain shift gears for a minute or two to let you recharge for what's next. (At least that's how I work.) It's also nice to see smiles and hear laughter in a math classroom. Maybe it's worth it if it makes it an enjoyable environment.

4. I need to work on not passing judgment. We read Romans 2 in our Bible study last Friday, and I've realized that I have a hard time with that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Loves Math - Romans 6:3

 God Loves Math: In which I select a random Bible verse from a random Bible verse generator ( this one ) and ask God to show me a new way of understanding Him, honoring Him, and loving Him while using a mathematical mindset to approach the section of scripture.  Today's Random Bible Verse Romans 6:3 "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" Right before today's random verse, the author makes the point that, while we see God's grace when he forgives our sins, of course we should not keep on sinning... Then comes our random Bible verse. Then he makes this follow-up statement: "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4) This short section is talking about what the sin in our life should look like. The Bible is very clear that all have sinned and fall...

God Loves Math: 1 John 3:24

In this blog post, I will look up a random Bible verse and consider how reading it in context and with a mathematical perspective can teach me something about God.  Today I used this random Bible verse generator . The verse it gave me is 1 John 3:24. "The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that God lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." Before I go any farther, I'm going to ask God to open my eyes and mind and heart to everything he has for me to learn from this verse. In verse 23, it says that God's command is to "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." So the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God and who loves his neighbor as himself will live in God and God will live in that person. And God's Spirit is the evidence of God living in us.  The first mathematical thought that comes to mind is the difference between 0.999 and 0.999... ...

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my ...