Skip to main content

Making Math Problems

This morning I was trying to come up with some good problems for students to use to find local maxima and minima. It's an awesome feeling to be able to combine everything I know about graphs and polynomials and end behavior to create polynomials within the window that I want that do what I want. It's cool to think that I don't have to just guess random things. So the graph is too long and skinny? I can do a vertical compression or a horizontal stretch. I want two local maxes and one local minimum, so I know I need to give it a negative leading coefficient and an even degree. It might be neat to come up with some sort of guidelines and have the students come up with their own polynomials. I wouldn't want them to just guess and check though. I might have them write something that says what they would have to do to a graph to get the desired results. It really forces you to use everything you know about polynomials and graph behavior and actually apply it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Loves Math - Romans 6:3

 God Loves Math: In which I select a random Bible verse from a random Bible verse generator ( this one ) and ask God to show me a new way of understanding Him, honoring Him, and loving Him while using a mathematical mindset to approach the section of scripture.  Today's Random Bible Verse Romans 6:3 "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" Right before today's random verse, the author makes the point that, while we see God's grace when he forgives our sins, of course we should not keep on sinning... Then comes our random Bible verse. Then he makes this follow-up statement: "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4) This short section is talking about what the sin in our life should look like. The Bible is very clear that all have sinned and fall...

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my ...

Definitions, Axioms, Math, and God

 Tonight I'm thinking about the unique way that God has created me.  I have been a math teacher. That has been my only career until being a coach these last 3 years. I've continued to be a math teacher while coaching. God created me with a deep love of learning. Mathematics is a bunch of well defined rules that give us an incredible playground of puzzles. I became a teacher because I wanted to do mathematics and work with people. I would never have become a teacher of any other subject. I get that you can learn in Science and Social Studies and English, so why do I love math so much? I love the definitions. Something is how we define it. I think of the stupid Neature Walk videos from high school... "It's called an aspen because that's what it is..." But really, the world operates a certain way, but in mathematics, the world exists in perfection in our minds. When we say something is a circle, we mean it is the set of all points equidistant from a center. Where...