Skip to main content

Thoughts After Spring Break

Well, it was easier to come back then I thought it would be. I'm exhausted, behind in the million things that need to be done, and haven't quite fixed my sleeping schedule, but the kids have been mostly great since returning. They came back Monday ready to jump back into learning which encouraged me to jump right back into teaching, so it's been a productive few days.

We aren't learning anything new this week. I think that helps a lot. We're not overwhelming the kids with brand new difficult concepts their first day back to school. We're spending a week doing what we call an "Insert." We review 4 big topics for 4 days. Then on Friday we'll take a test for the second time over these 4 big topics. It will be a chance for many kids to learn the material a lot better and improve their scores from the first time they took a test over this same stuff.

A funny story: Today I watched a kid throw a carrot over a railing and down some stairs at another kid. I confronted the carrot-thrower. He denied everything even though I saw it clearly, he was eating a carrot while talking to me, and had additional carrots in his pocket. (We also have cameras that I'm sure caught everything.) I'm interested to see what he receives for the carrot throwing. Word has it he was throwing stuff at lunch earlier too, and I saw probably 10 different carrots in different spots throughout the hallway later on...

Something positive: Yesterday a few kids were asking me "Life Questions." One of my students has some mad skills at interviewing so he would ask me questions between every few practice problems. One of his questions was what I was most passionate about. I was able to tell them immediately that my faith was the thing I was most passionate about. I couldn't really have the conversation that I would have loved to have with them because I don't want to get in trouble, so I steered it back to math, but those things inspire me because I feel so much more accountable for the character that my kids see in me. (It is a little bit sad that they will be a silent captive audience if we're talking about pretty much anything but math...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Loves Math - Romans 6:3

 God Loves Math: In which I select a random Bible verse from a random Bible verse generator ( this one ) and ask God to show me a new way of understanding Him, honoring Him, and loving Him while using a mathematical mindset to approach the section of scripture.  Today's Random Bible Verse Romans 6:3 "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" Right before today's random verse, the author makes the point that, while we see God's grace when he forgives our sins, of course we should not keep on sinning... Then comes our random Bible verse. Then he makes this follow-up statement: "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4) This short section is talking about what the sin in our life should look like. The Bible is very clear that all have sinned and fall...

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my ...

Definitions, Axioms, Math, and God

 Tonight I'm thinking about the unique way that God has created me.  I have been a math teacher. That has been my only career until being a coach these last 3 years. I've continued to be a math teacher while coaching. God created me with a deep love of learning. Mathematics is a bunch of well defined rules that give us an incredible playground of puzzles. I became a teacher because I wanted to do mathematics and work with people. I would never have become a teacher of any other subject. I get that you can learn in Science and Social Studies and English, so why do I love math so much? I love the definitions. Something is how we define it. I think of the stupid Neature Walk videos from high school... "It's called an aspen because that's what it is..." But really, the world operates a certain way, but in mathematics, the world exists in perfection in our minds. When we say something is a circle, we mean it is the set of all points equidistant from a center. Where...