Skip to main content

Successful Review Game

I found this idea on Pinterest although I can't remember where or from whom.

I put the students in groups of 3. I actually typed up directions for each group which seemed more effective than me just speaking the directions. It also helped me plan better for exactly how the game was going to work.

Basically each group had 15 paper-clipped sets of 3 cards, each with a similar math problem. To start they took the first set of three cards and placed one on each student's desk upside down. When I said, "Go," they each did their individual problem (individual accountability). Then they had to find the sum of their answers and send a "runner" to me to check the answer for that set of cards. If it was correct, they were instructed to put those 3 cards in their DONE pile and pick up the next set of 3 cards from their START pile. They then repeated the process. If they told me their sum and it was incorrect, they had to go back to the group and work together to figure out where their mistakes were (group collaboration). I liked it because this forced them to recheck their own work and look at the work of their group members who had already tried the problem individually. Error analysis is, in my opinion, a GREAT way for students to deepen their understanding of a mathematical concept and make connections.

I asked a few students what they thought. It wasn't necessarily "super fun," but they responded that they liked it better than a lot of games because they were all doing a problem at the same time rather than just watching others do problems and taking turns. The competition definitely drives a number of my students and that makes it more exciting. The winning group gets to go first in the food line for our end of the year party tomorrow!

Another plus for this game was that the students helped each other when one person didn't know how to do a card. The work load was very heavily on the students rather than me. All 3 cards were over the exact same concept so while they were doing different problems, they all required basically the same steps. It allowed me to gauge their understanding and step in only in certain circumstances when I saw all three group members were stuck or lost. I waited until they had tried a few times unsuccessfully to solve their problems or when I saw a group just staring at a loss.

Only one more day of normal school!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Loves Math - Romans 6:3

 God Loves Math: In which I select a random Bible verse from a random Bible verse generator ( this one ) and ask God to show me a new way of understanding Him, honoring Him, and loving Him while using a mathematical mindset to approach the section of scripture.  Today's Random Bible Verse Romans 6:3 "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" Right before today's random verse, the author makes the point that, while we see God's grace when he forgives our sins, of course we should not keep on sinning... Then comes our random Bible verse. Then he makes this follow-up statement: "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4) This short section is talking about what the sin in our life should look like. The Bible is very clear that all have sinned and fall...

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my ...

Definitions, Axioms, Math, and God

 Tonight I'm thinking about the unique way that God has created me.  I have been a math teacher. That has been my only career until being a coach these last 3 years. I've continued to be a math teacher while coaching. God created me with a deep love of learning. Mathematics is a bunch of well defined rules that give us an incredible playground of puzzles. I became a teacher because I wanted to do mathematics and work with people. I would never have become a teacher of any other subject. I get that you can learn in Science and Social Studies and English, so why do I love math so much? I love the definitions. Something is how we define it. I think of the stupid Neature Walk videos from high school... "It's called an aspen because that's what it is..." But really, the world operates a certain way, but in mathematics, the world exists in perfection in our minds. When we say something is a circle, we mean it is the set of all points equidistant from a center. Where...