Skip to main content

God Loves Math: Galatians 6:7

 God Loves Math:

In which I select a random Bible verse from a random Bible verse generator (this one) and ask God to show me a new way of understanding Him, honoring Him, and loving Him while using a mathematical mindset to approach the section of scripture. 

Today's Random Bible Verse

Galatians 6:7

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 

Thought #1
Our lives are similar to functions. For a relation to be a function, one input can only go to one output. If I input the value x=4 and can get y=2 or y=5, I do not have a function because the input in a function must have only one output. We reap what we sow. If an input of x=4 maps to an output of y=2, then we could say that sowing a 4 will reap a 2. If we sow "tirelessly doing good" as we're instructed to in verse 9, then God promises our output will be a harvest. This idea is backed up in Matthew 7:18. "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit." I still hear Pastor Tyler in the back of my brain saying, "A failure is an event, not a person," but the point remains that what we put in will produce a predictable output. 

Thought #2
We are told not to be deceived which must mean it's easy to be deceived! This photo comes to mind.

This was relevant because we had seen this happen over and over and over and over again in classrooms. If we had seen 1% of students make this mistake, we wouldn't have brought it up multiple times and tried to use humor to help students recognize this danger and avoid it. This verse probably tells us not to be deceived because it's happened, unfortunately, over and over and over again. 


So what should we sow? What function should we be using? How do we avoid being deceived?

Galatians also says we should carry each other's burdens and sow to please the spirit. So the function we apply to our lives should be the wisdom of the Holy Spirit and the instructions we've ben given in the Bible. "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." Galatians 6:9


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Loves Math - Romans 6:3

 God Loves Math: In which I select a random Bible verse from a random Bible verse generator ( this one ) and ask God to show me a new way of understanding Him, honoring Him, and loving Him while using a mathematical mindset to approach the section of scripture.  Today's Random Bible Verse Romans 6:3 "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" Right before today's random verse, the author makes the point that, while we see God's grace when he forgives our sins, of course we should not keep on sinning... Then comes our random Bible verse. Then he makes this follow-up statement: "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." (Romans 6:4) This short section is talking about what the sin in our life should look like. The Bible is very clear that all have sinned and fall...

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my ...

Definitions, Axioms, Math, and God

 Tonight I'm thinking about the unique way that God has created me.  I have been a math teacher. That has been my only career until being a coach these last 3 years. I've continued to be a math teacher while coaching. God created me with a deep love of learning. Mathematics is a bunch of well defined rules that give us an incredible playground of puzzles. I became a teacher because I wanted to do mathematics and work with people. I would never have become a teacher of any other subject. I get that you can learn in Science and Social Studies and English, so why do I love math so much? I love the definitions. Something is how we define it. I think of the stupid Neature Walk videos from high school... "It's called an aspen because that's what it is..." But really, the world operates a certain way, but in mathematics, the world exists in perfection in our minds. When we say something is a circle, we mean it is the set of all points equidistant from a center. Where...