Skip to main content

The Fanny Pack

So I have been wearing a fanny pack to school to teach every day since the beginning of school. I take every opportunity I get to joke about it! I even wore the fanny pack to parent night. No one asked about it, but I found myself wondering what the parents were thinking.

I had two girls tell me I was one of the best dressed teachers at school! (I don't think that's a result of the fanny pack!) I also get to be a teacher sponsor for a HUGE student council event. I have a team of 12 students and we compete in field day like evens for high school students. I joked with the kids that asked me to be their sponsor that I didn't think anyone would ask me because I was wearing a fanny pack. They laughed and said, "Oh, we asked you because you wear a fanny pack!"

On a more serious note, the first test of the semester is coming up, and if I'm honest, I'm really looking forward to the break. It's nice to be able to sit for a day. It's incredible how much running around I do in my small classroom. I'm nervous that the kids aren't going to do as well as I want them to. I think it will be the same situation it's been every year. The kids that are really trying and putting the effort in will be successful on the test.

I think these are the reasons I feel a little worried/stressed about the upcoming tests:
1. I haven't given the kids homework answers. Some of them may have been doing every single problem wrong, and they don't even know it. I know there are answers to half of the problems in the back of the book, but we're giving review problems that cover algebra 1 topics on a worksheet, and the students don't have any way to know how they're doing on those problems.
2. When talking with some other teachers after school, I feel like we're still in the "I do" stage of the gradual release of responsibility. We have a test in 2 days, but I still feel like I need to show them how to do some problems? Is that because the problems are harder/different or because the kids aren't ready?
3. I only walked around to look at homework twice this week. I know other teachers have done spot checks much more often, and I wonder if that will negatively affect my kids or give them the impression that they can get away with doing less homework. They know I'm going to collect it all, and give completion points for every assignment at the end of the unit, but I wonder if any of my students will wait until the very end of the unit and try to do them all.
4. I wanted to contact the parents of all the students who don't have a calculator yet or haven't done their homework yet, but setting up that email and getting all their email addresses is a huge task. It takes so much longer than it should... I should make it my goal to send some of those emails during the test days at the end of this week.

One thing I'm feeling really good about this week is my inner feeling of confidence in differentiation. Tomorrow I'm going to give it a shot. I have an anchor activity. It's nothing fancy. Just 3 warm up questions and a short review assignment. Yesterday I had the kids fill in a self assessment to rank their understanding for each topic on the test. I have 3 short questions I'm going to address at the beginning of class that I believe everyone will benefit from seeing. Then I'm going to put kids who said they had high to medium understanding in groups of 2 or 3 together. Then I'm going to have the kids who ranked themselves at a very low understanding in a group with me so I can help the kids who need it most. We also have an amazing Math Resource Teacher who might come into my classroom during at least one period where I have a couple students who could really benefit from some extra help, so in that period, she might be able to work specifically with that group while I help the rest of the class as needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my

School vs. Real Life

I read a post on facebook today about things in the real world that students don't learn in school. It got me thinking about how we spiral everything in Geometry and Algebra 2. Here's how it works... We teach a brand new unit for about 2 weeks. During that time, we review something from a particular previous unit each day so that by the end of those two weeks, they have learned all the new material a little bit each day and reviewed all the "spiral" material a little bit each day. Then we give two tests, one over the new material and one over the "spiral" material. By doing this, they will experience all material once as new and a second time as spiral. This will allow them to take two tests over every unit. Their first test score affects their grade, but if they score higher on the second test, they get to keep just the higher score. If they score lower on the second test, we average the two test scores. Most students score higher on the second test becau

God Loves Math: 1 John 3:24

In this blog post, I will look up a random Bible verse and consider how reading it in context and with a mathematical perspective can teach me something about God.  Today I used this random Bible verse generator . The verse it gave me is 1 John 3:24. "The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that God lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." Before I go any farther, I'm going to ask God to open my eyes and mind and heart to everything he has for me to learn from this verse. In verse 23, it says that God's command is to "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." So the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God and who loves his neighbor as himself will live in God and God will live in that person. And God's Spirit is the evidence of God living in us.  The first mathematical thought that comes to mind is the difference between 0.999 and 0.999...