Skip to main content

A New Year

I can't believe I haven't written anything since last November! I spent a few minutes today looking over past blogs, and I'm so thankful that I wrote about the things that I did! There is definitely value in reflecting and recording important thoughts and experiences.

This year has been going "too" well. I expected my students to be the same as those in Ankeny, but they are not. They aren't all perfect angels, but there is a different level of respect from nearly all of my students. I don't think this has anything to do with me. I think it has to do with clear expectations and clear consequences that are consistently and routinely enforced by teachers and administrators.

I've been trying to try new things this year, especially with technology. Every single student here has their own laptop that is theirs for the entire year. I remember trying to come up with lessons using the laptops last year and then hating the laptop cart even more after half of them wouldn't charge and the students would put the computers in backwards when they were done. It was such a hassle that I ended up avoiding using computers for lessons unless I had access to the computer lab.

This year, I have my own website that I actually keep updated. The students have used it enough in the last week, that they know exactly how to get to it. I keep a weekly schedule there along with class notes and links to things like the text book, syllabus, and random other stuff I need the kids to have access to.

I've been experimenting with Google Forms this year. It's awesome for formative assessment! At the end of class today, all students answered 5 questions on a Google Form, and I was able to see instantly which kids needed help with which aspects of adding and subtracting negative numbers. I was able to highlight the kids I need to touch base with tomorrow because their results showed up in an organized sortable spreadsheet.

I'm able to play games that require the computer! Kahoot is one of the easiest game websites ever to both create and play games with the students. I can have the kids play concentration without doing it as a large class and without dealing with the pain of the laptop cart.

Through it all, God has made his presence in my life more apparent than ever. I don't think I'll ever feel satisfied completely with the job I'm doing as a teacher, but this year I've talked more than I ever have before with God about my lessons and my students. I know it sounds cheesy, but I've desperately asked God to make me the teacher my students need and deserve. I'm getting compliments from other teachers and administration and students, and that feels great, but I know it's not because of me but because of God. I've received confirmation that God is helping me become a better teacher all the time. It terrifies me sometimes that if I'm doing well now, I'm going to mess up and my teaching will start to go down hill. I know the truth is that if I keep trusting God, I will be the teacher he wants me to be every single day. The only way I can fail is if I stop making him a part of my life at school. I start to worry that I'll get too busy and not talk to him or think about him often enough. I think that worry is coming from the Devil. I've been praying not only that God will continue to shape my teaching and me as a teacher, but also that he will keep me humble and that I will never forget that it is because of him that I am able.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my

School vs. Real Life

I read a post on facebook today about things in the real world that students don't learn in school. It got me thinking about how we spiral everything in Geometry and Algebra 2. Here's how it works... We teach a brand new unit for about 2 weeks. During that time, we review something from a particular previous unit each day so that by the end of those two weeks, they have learned all the new material a little bit each day and reviewed all the "spiral" material a little bit each day. Then we give two tests, one over the new material and one over the "spiral" material. By doing this, they will experience all material once as new and a second time as spiral. This will allow them to take two tests over every unit. Their first test score affects their grade, but if they score higher on the second test, they get to keep just the higher score. If they score lower on the second test, we average the two test scores. Most students score higher on the second test becau

God Loves Math: 1 John 3:24

In this blog post, I will look up a random Bible verse and consider how reading it in context and with a mathematical perspective can teach me something about God.  Today I used this random Bible verse generator . The verse it gave me is 1 John 3:24. "The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that God lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." Before I go any farther, I'm going to ask God to open my eyes and mind and heart to everything he has for me to learn from this verse. In verse 23, it says that God's command is to "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." So the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God and who loves his neighbor as himself will live in God and God will live in that person. And God's Spirit is the evidence of God living in us.  The first mathematical thought that comes to mind is the difference between 0.999 and 0.999...