Skip to main content

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13

"I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws,"

(God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.)

"for the man who obeys them will live by them."

(I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...)

"Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy."

(Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my students to know I care about them and want them to learn and enjoy it because I also want what's best for them!)

"Yet the people of Israel rebelled against me in the desert."

(So much for the planning and excitement...)

"They did not follow my decrees but rejected my laws"

(Not only were they rude and unappreciative, but they actively acted against God's clear and consistent expectations. This would be like my students going beyond whining about getting to play a game that has the potential to be both fun and educational, to using their phones during class or writing profane notes and leaving them in the suggestion box...)

"- although the man who obeys them will live by them -"

(Seriously... you don't know what you're doing. I'm telling you, it's a bad idea. Oh, if only you realized how stupid you were being right now... and if you only understood that I actually want - and know and have some power over - what's best for you!)

"and they utterly desecrated my Sabbaths"

(Once again, God is hurt and disappointed. He planned something truly good in every sense of the word and the people ruined it. This goes beyond whining over a math game to complaining about getting a class picnic or a pizza party.)

The rest of this chapter goes on to say that God did not destroy the people. Instead, he considered the big picture and provided consequences. He followed through and kept an entire generation out of the promised land as a result of their poor choices and disobedience. The consequences were serious, and he was true to his word, but he still showed the people mercy. He kept his promise and allowed their children to enter the promised land.

Ezekiel 20:25 "I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by"

(God had warned them, but natural consequences are a real and powerful teacher.)

As teachers, we must have clear and consistent expectations and consequences. We must never let our expectations be lowered. But we must also follow the model of God and provide grace. When the all-powerful creator and God of the universe had to deal with misbehaving "children", he felt hurt and frustration, just like we do as teachers. We can learn from him by always stepping back to get a clear look at the situation and always seeking truth and justice in our consequences, while always looking for opportunities to show mercy.

Here are a few other verses that came to mind on this topic:

Micah 6:8 "Seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God."

Hebrews 4:15 "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin."

Be encouraged, teachers! Do the best you can and know that God really is always there to help you. Pray with confidence!

Also, my students have been pretty great this year. While I have gotten one rude note in the suggestion box and whining is pretty much a part of life for a math teacher, I'm thankful for how pleasant all my students this year have been. This chapter came up in my Bible reading plan, and I instantly saw a connection to my teacher experiences and wanted to share them : )



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School vs. Real Life

I read a post on facebook today about things in the real world that students don't learn in school. It got me thinking about how we spiral everything in Geometry and Algebra 2. Here's how it works... We teach a brand new unit for about 2 weeks. During that time, we review something from a particular previous unit each day so that by the end of those two weeks, they have learned all the new material a little bit each day and reviewed all the "spiral" material a little bit each day. Then we give two tests, one over the new material and one over the "spiral" material. By doing this, they will experience all material once as new and a second time as spiral. This will allow them to take two tests over every unit. Their first test score affects their grade, but if they score higher on the second test, they get to keep just the higher score. If they score lower on the second test, we average the two test scores. Most students score higher on the second test becau

God Loves Math: 1 John 3:24

In this blog post, I will look up a random Bible verse and consider how reading it in context and with a mathematical perspective can teach me something about God.  Today I used this random Bible verse generator . The verse it gave me is 1 John 3:24. "The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that God lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." Before I go any farther, I'm going to ask God to open my eyes and mind and heart to everything he has for me to learn from this verse. In verse 23, it says that God's command is to "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." So the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God and who loves his neighbor as himself will live in God and God will live in that person. And God's Spirit is the evidence of God living in us.  The first mathematical thought that comes to mind is the difference between 0.999 and 0.999...