Skip to main content

My "Psalm"

There's a message in my brain that needs to be organized. Hopefully writing will help me to accomplish that.

29 people are dead this morning because two men took it upon themselves to open fire in public places.

I believe at least 3 more are dead after a car accident in which a truck driver took it upon himself to speed and ignore red lights. This comes exactly one week before the date when my best childhood friend Karen Linder died in a car accident.


When something doesn't make sense, what is your response?

The guys in Psalms asked God about things that didn't make sense all the time. They would ask how long they would have to endure such pain and hardship. They would ask why he was allowing so many bad things to happen to them. They often asked why those who were full of pride, sin, selfishness, idolatry, and who did not fear or love or respect God seemed to have all the success and comfort.

So here is my prayer to God.

God,

I know in my mind and believe that you created the world and everything in it. 

I have seen evidence of your love in the thousands of ways that you have protected me and taken care of me, but when I see so many people killed because of the hateful actions of a random stranger, I wonder why you didn't save those people. 

In my mind I know the answer to my own question. 
I know you allow free will.
I know you have appointed a time when you will return to destroy evil.
Were all the people that were murdered your children?

In the New Testament, you say that everyone has a new responsibility to the law and to do right once they know the law. You are able to keep track of every second of every life, and you already knew when these 32 lives would end. You love each of these people, and you gave them everything they needed to make the decision to accept your gift of forgiveness and salvation or not. 

Since you are free from time, God, please go back and give them one more chance to choose you if they hadn't already. Please change the past to put one more experience in the lives of those who died without having chosen you. Please remind me to be that experience whenever possible because the battle of good and evil never sleeps, and this life and world is unpredictable. 

Help me to love like you love.
Thank you for creating me exactly as I am to think, process, and feel like I do.
Thank you for the people that run toward danger to protect others. Please give extra protection to all the police officers who expect danger each day when they go to work. 
Please come quickly. 

Thank you for promising that all things work together for good for those who love you. 
Thank you for promising that you will never leave us or forsake us.
Thank you for promising eternal life in a place with no more pain or sorrow for those who accept it. 
Thank you for promising to come back to this broken world to set up your perfect kingdom. 
Please let me see these promises clearly in my life. 

God of justice, God of mercy, God of the humble, God of the weak, be just with those who have had every chance and have chosen evil, be merciful with those who think they don't deserve you and don't realize that no one deserves you but nothing is too terrible for your forgiveness, let the humble inherit a version of this world without mass shooters and maniac drivers, and give strength to the families and friends who just lost the most important person in the world to them. 

When Karen died, I felt sadness, but I also knew that God had richly blessed her life, and her death meant she was in Heaven while I was still on earth. I recognized that my sadness was a selfish (although reasonable) sadness. God used that tragedy to save so many lives. More than ten years later, people are still affected by knowing Karen and by her story.

The events of the last day are horrific. The only answer is Jesus, and I already know that not everyone is going to accept him. That means there will be sin and brokenness until the day he returns. I take heart and remind my soul not to be downcast within me because I know that God has already overcome and I will put my hope in him because he is my savior, and I will praise him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my

School vs. Real Life

I read a post on facebook today about things in the real world that students don't learn in school. It got me thinking about how we spiral everything in Geometry and Algebra 2. Here's how it works... We teach a brand new unit for about 2 weeks. During that time, we review something from a particular previous unit each day so that by the end of those two weeks, they have learned all the new material a little bit each day and reviewed all the "spiral" material a little bit each day. Then we give two tests, one over the new material and one over the "spiral" material. By doing this, they will experience all material once as new and a second time as spiral. This will allow them to take two tests over every unit. Their first test score affects their grade, but if they score higher on the second test, they get to keep just the higher score. If they score lower on the second test, we average the two test scores. Most students score higher on the second test becau

God Loves Math: 1 John 3:24

In this blog post, I will look up a random Bible verse and consider how reading it in context and with a mathematical perspective can teach me something about God.  Today I used this random Bible verse generator . The verse it gave me is 1 John 3:24. "The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that God lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." Before I go any farther, I'm going to ask God to open my eyes and mind and heart to everything he has for me to learn from this verse. In verse 23, it says that God's command is to "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." So the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God and who loves his neighbor as himself will live in God and God will live in that person. And God's Spirit is the evidence of God living in us.  The first mathematical thought that comes to mind is the difference between 0.999 and 0.999...