Skip to main content

My Fourth New School Year!

Well, I've survived the first three years. In the documentary "Saving Superman" (I think that's the title), a teacher says that it took five years for him to really master what he was doing as a teacher. I'm getting closer!

I've organized my classroom and spent some time talking with other teachers about this year and what we want to change and do the same. I'm going to try doing in-class problems this year. This is my vision.

The lesson (often there will be notes involved) will only take 10-15 minutes. I want to give students the "Important Notes" first. These will be things that are crucial to the day's lesson. If they get stuck later, they should look back at their "Important Notes." Then I want to do just two or three examples. I know that won't allow me to cover every possible case, but then I will have in-class problems that the students will work on while myself and the co-teacher are there to help them that will cover some different scenarios and cases where they will use the same concept taught in class. In-class problems will range from very basic to very challenging. This way, students will have something at their level to work on during class with a teacher and peers there for guidance and help. Unless students are absent or waste time in class, they would only be required to do the review homework problems, effectively cutting their homework assignment in half. In-class problems might just be normal problems they work out in their notebooks some days. Other days, there might be stations around the room for the students to move to to work out different types of difficulties of problems. Other days we might play a game to allow the students to practice different types of problems. Another option would be to have students work out the problems on their desks.

Here are some pros I've thought of so far:
1. Students would not need to bring their books to class most of the time (in class problems would be either written on the board or on paper for them.
2. Answers to in-class problems would be provided so students could check as they go.
3. Students can use the homework problems they didn't have to do as a study tool when preparing for a test.
4. I can differentiate a little bit better (I hope!)
5. Students that need to be challenged will not have to watch me do 5 examples when they would have been fine after just 1 or 2. They will have problems that will make them think that they can work on in class with their peers.
6. In the past I have had some students that start their homework while I'm doing notes. While many of the students that choose to do this are able to figure out how to do the problems just fine, I would prefer if they interacted with the discussion that we had around those examples while we were going through them together. I'm hoping that by eliminating all homework time in class and trying to minimize the time spent in direct instruction, all students will be better able to give their full attention and engagement while direct instruction and discussion are taking place.
7. Students will feel rewarded for the work they do in class (by cutting off half of their homework assignment.)
8. Students will have the opportunity to practice A-B type questions almost every day in class. On every test we have one difficult question that we believe should separate the A student from the B student. Many students in the past have been frustrated by these questions because they don't feel it's like anything they've done before. The truth is, it isn't. We always make sure that questions uses what they have learned but in some sort of new way. By giving the students opportunities to practice using what they've learned each day in new and different ways, we can help them develop their problem-solving skills and become stronger and thinking about how they can use what they know even in ways they haven't directly done before.

The question of how to grade, assess, or hold kids accountable for homework is still up for discussion... I feel like I'll never figure out how to handle homework well. There is a possibility that Algebra 2 will be going to 100% tests and 0% homework this year... I'm against this because of the lack of motivation. The only way I would be on board is if we could require students to complete all (or most) homework before they are allowed to take their test. If they didn't complete homework, they wouldn't be allowed to take the test, which would mean they would have to come work with me to finish that homework so they could take their test before they got to do other extra curricular activities. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the support to do that right now. That is the only way I see kids doing homework for absolutely no grade whatsoever.

There is much to discuss with the math team on our first official day back on Tuesday. Regardless, I'm excited for a great school year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my

School vs. Real Life

I read a post on facebook today about things in the real world that students don't learn in school. It got me thinking about how we spiral everything in Geometry and Algebra 2. Here's how it works... We teach a brand new unit for about 2 weeks. During that time, we review something from a particular previous unit each day so that by the end of those two weeks, they have learned all the new material a little bit each day and reviewed all the "spiral" material a little bit each day. Then we give two tests, one over the new material and one over the "spiral" material. By doing this, they will experience all material once as new and a second time as spiral. This will allow them to take two tests over every unit. Their first test score affects their grade, but if they score higher on the second test, they get to keep just the higher score. If they score lower on the second test, we average the two test scores. Most students score higher on the second test becau

God Loves Math: 1 John 3:24

In this blog post, I will look up a random Bible verse and consider how reading it in context and with a mathematical perspective can teach me something about God.  Today I used this random Bible verse generator . The verse it gave me is 1 John 3:24. "The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that God lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." Before I go any farther, I'm going to ask God to open my eyes and mind and heart to everything he has for me to learn from this verse. In verse 23, it says that God's command is to "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." So the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God and who loves his neighbor as himself will live in God and God will live in that person. And God's Spirit is the evidence of God living in us.  The first mathematical thought that comes to mind is the difference between 0.999 and 0.999...