Skip to main content

Weight

My body literally feels heavy at the end of this week with the weight of my imperfections.

I read a blog recently (I wish I had the link to put here) about the hardest part of being a teacher. This blogger said it's not the hard work or the low pay or the grading or the difficult students. The hardest part about being a teacher is never having enough.

I am inclined to agree. Here are just two of the things I don't physically have enough of:

1. Time (to grade, plan, differentiate, collaborate, research, create, clean...)

I do all of the above things, but not to my satisfaction. My grading, planning, differentiating, collaborating, researching, and creating are never done the best they could be. In fact, not one thing on that list is done the way it really should be... But I only have so much time. I know how I want them to be done, but there isn't much more frustrating than being forced to do a job you're not 100% totally proud of.

2. Uumph...

This is the word I use to describe my bowling technique to people. I can't get the ball down to the pins with enough "uumph" to do well unless I replicate the Fred Flinstone running approach. The 3-step technique just doesn't do it for me. I feel like I don't have enough "uumph" right now to metaphorically get the ball to knock down more than a pin or 2. I can see what I could do differently to have a more positive affect, but I physically don't know where I would muster any more "uumph" to get it done.

Thank goodness I identified my perfection paralysis and can at least do something in the face of not being able to do it perfectly. I can't call all the parents that I want to, but I called the one that I felt was highest on my priority list. I don't have lessons ready to go for Monday in Algebra 1, but I have an outline for the week to start from. I have a plan to differentiate in one class next week if not in every class.

Thank goodness Jesus knows exactly how I am, and he knows what I'm thinking and feeling. Thank goodness that I know him and trust that he will make sure I have enough of everything I need to do what he needs me to do. It always comes back to Jesus. The things I think are so important pale in comparison to the truth about Jesus. I put the weight of my shortcomings on myself, but Jesus can take it away and replace it with the weight of his goodness and truth. (And that is a good weight!)

Jesus can give me more uumph when my store is running low. He can also give me the wisdom to know where and how to spend the time I do have. And just to keep the bowling analogy going, I might have a pin that just will not go down, and it may fall in the futurte because of something happening now that I don't even realize. But God sees all of that.

One of the highlights of this week:

One student was complaining at an after-school study session about how hard the problems were. He would say things like, "Can't you just tell me it's right?!" Another student got defensive and said, "Hey, Mrs. Evans is one of the best teachers in this school. I'm not kidding. I look forward to 6th period every day." He said it with such sincerity that it warmed my heart : )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my

School vs. Real Life

I read a post on facebook today about things in the real world that students don't learn in school. It got me thinking about how we spiral everything in Geometry and Algebra 2. Here's how it works... We teach a brand new unit for about 2 weeks. During that time, we review something from a particular previous unit each day so that by the end of those two weeks, they have learned all the new material a little bit each day and reviewed all the "spiral" material a little bit each day. Then we give two tests, one over the new material and one over the "spiral" material. By doing this, they will experience all material once as new and a second time as spiral. This will allow them to take two tests over every unit. Their first test score affects their grade, but if they score higher on the second test, they get to keep just the higher score. If they score lower on the second test, we average the two test scores. Most students score higher on the second test becau

God Loves Math: 1 John 3:24

In this blog post, I will look up a random Bible verse and consider how reading it in context and with a mathematical perspective can teach me something about God.  Today I used this random Bible verse generator . The verse it gave me is 1 John 3:24. "The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that God lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." Before I go any farther, I'm going to ask God to open my eyes and mind and heart to everything he has for me to learn from this verse. In verse 23, it says that God's command is to "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." So the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God and who loves his neighbor as himself will live in God and God will live in that person. And God's Spirit is the evidence of God living in us.  The first mathematical thought that comes to mind is the difference between 0.999 and 0.999...