Skip to main content

Thoughts at the End of Year Three

Let me start by saying not all of these are things I've come up with. My fellow teachers and I have had a lot of conversations recently, and I work with some really smart people! I've also gotten some idea from other blogs.

1. What about giving "in class" problems that students must work in groups or individually to solve in class? These problems would use the new material that we learned in class in different way. They would start with basic problems and if they do those fine in class there would be more challenging problems. This would be a natural way to differentiate. Then students would be expected to do 6-10 problems outside of class over their spiral topic. (Either spiral from a day or two before or spiraled from a previous unit.)

2. I want to go back to giving "Important Notes." I'm not sure yet if I want these to be on stapled pieces of paper on the syllabus? Maybe I could put a spot for it on the syllabus. This section would contain the big ideas, formulas, things they would write down, tips and tricks, etc... Then in their notebooks I want to do just 1 or 2 examples and have them spend the rest of class trying to figure out the in class problems.

3. I am definitely going to continue expecting kids to leave their cell phone before they leave the room for almost any reason.

4. I want to challenge kids and get them excited about trying a challenging problem. Extra credit will not be allowed at all next year. Maybe I can offer different types of rewards. Maybe if a student tries a challenge project or problem, they could be exempt from doing some of the homework problems. Perhaps there could be a wall of fame for students who have the most creative solution, the most different solutions or ways or checking their solutions, or the most well explained solution. Maybe every few weeks I could update the wall of fame.

5. I found an idea on another blog that I want to use every week in my regular Algebra 2 classes. I don't know if I want the students to have a separate notebook where they keep these or what, but I really like the idea of using this same structure every single week to look at a different type of function. Some weeks we might use it as a learning tool. Other weeks it might be a chance for them to fill it in with groups for a formative assessment or review activity. I really like that it has an x,y chart. I also like listing the different forms, showing the actual graph to tie it in with the equations and the x- and y-values as well as doing domain and range every single week.

6. Another teacher had a great idea for Geometry. She suggested that we get the kids in the habit, model, and then expect them to always, 100% of the time write an explanation for the equation they are setting up. For example, a lot of our kids at this point have learned that, when in doubt, they should try setting things equal to each other or to 180. There are kids that get test questions correct because they have found that pattern but really have no idea why they should set their two expressions equal to each other. If we expected them to write a few words saying something like, "Vertical angles are congruent," or, "Diagonals of a kite are perpendicular," then we could tell if they actually understand the Geometric properties and relationships we're supposed to be teaching them. This would also allow us to increase the rigor which we feel is lacking lately in an attempt to experiment with a new spiraling system and the pressure of all kids needing Algebra 2 to graduate.

7. I need to follow through on tardy consequences. I started the year using a sign in sheet which worked at first, but I started forgetting to follow through with students that had come late and signed the sheet multiple times. I want to use the clipboard from the beginning next year, but actually follow through if students are late more than once.

8. I tried going part of the year without any seating charts. That won't happen again : ) It wasn't necessarily bad, and in fact I think it started fine, but the students' ability to handle sitting next to a friend without talking or sharing something at inappropriate times got worse and worse as the year went on.

9. Make-Up Test folders changed my life this year. I had a folder for Geometry and a folder for Algebra 2. On the day of a test, I put a test in the folder for each student that was gone with is or her name on it. Then, when the student needed to retake the test it was easy to find and manage.

10. Having a folder for my test keys and made up tests that still needed to be graded was another huge life saver this year. The left folder was for test keys. The right folder was for tests that had been graded and needed to be returned/filed. Tests or assignments that were handed in but still needed to be graded just went loosely into the folder until I had a chance to go through them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God and Classroom Management

Ezekiel 20:11-13 "I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws," (God gave clear and consistent expectations. I would bet he made sure they were available in multiple formats so people could both read and hear them.) "for the man who obeys them will live by them." (I have way more wisdom and knowledge, not to mentioned a fully developed frontal lobe. I know the results of those bad choices already, so seriously, listen to me for your own good...) "Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." (Here I imagine God feels like I do when I spend hours planning a hands-on lesson that would make me curious and excited as a student. I bet he looked forward to the Sabbath because he imagined how excited he would be as a human to have this day to rest and appreciate what a great and loving God they have. He wants us to know he loves us and wants what's best for us, just like I want my

School vs. Real Life

I read a post on facebook today about things in the real world that students don't learn in school. It got me thinking about how we spiral everything in Geometry and Algebra 2. Here's how it works... We teach a brand new unit for about 2 weeks. During that time, we review something from a particular previous unit each day so that by the end of those two weeks, they have learned all the new material a little bit each day and reviewed all the "spiral" material a little bit each day. Then we give two tests, one over the new material and one over the "spiral" material. By doing this, they will experience all material once as new and a second time as spiral. This will allow them to take two tests over every unit. Their first test score affects their grade, but if they score higher on the second test, they get to keep just the higher score. If they score lower on the second test, we average the two test scores. Most students score higher on the second test becau

God Loves Math: 1 John 3:24

In this blog post, I will look up a random Bible verse and consider how reading it in context and with a mathematical perspective can teach me something about God.  Today I used this random Bible verse generator . The verse it gave me is 1 John 3:24. "The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that God lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us." Before I go any farther, I'm going to ask God to open my eyes and mind and heart to everything he has for me to learn from this verse. In verse 23, it says that God's command is to "believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." So the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God and who loves his neighbor as himself will live in God and God will live in that person. And God's Spirit is the evidence of God living in us.  The first mathematical thought that comes to mind is the difference between 0.999 and 0.999...